Friday 28 August 2009

Gluten Free Maderia Cake

I've been using my breadmaker quite a lot recently - not necessarily for gluten free bread, as I've not yet come across a recipe with ingredients that I can use (I have a sulphite allergy too). So I often make this yummy madeira cake, using the following recipe.

Wet ingredients:
butter (melted) - 3/4 cup (150g)
vanilla essence - 1/2 tsp
eggs (beaten) - 3 medium
lemon juice - 2 tsp
water - 1/4 cup (60ml)

Dry ingredients:
gluten free flour (I use doves plain gluten free flour) - 1 full cup plus 5/8 cup (250g approx)
gluten free baking powder - 2 tsp
caster sugar - 1/2 cup (110g)
chopped raisins (I use sulphite free dried apricots) - 1/4 cup (41g)

Mix wet ingredients together in a bowl, and dry ingredients together in a bowl. Combine both together and mix. Pour into breadmaker and choose cake setting. My breadmaker does a bit of mixing then bakes for 80 minutes. I presume oven baking will take about the same length of time, although I haven't tried it myself. The cake is nice and moist - you wouldn't think it was gluten free. I do not use vanilla essence and it tastes nice without it. I also use a fresh lemon, not concentrated lemon, as this has a high level of sulphites. The cake needs eating quickly as there are no preservatives, so I leave mine to cool completely, cut into slices and freeze half of it straight away - otherwise I end up eating the whole lot in a couple of days - not good for the diet or the figure!! It's great with or without butter.

Let me know if you give it a try.......

1 comment:

nonni said...

Ooh, a new gluten-free recipe! I shall write it down! Thanks! :)